Sachawasi Amazon Community
The Sachawasi community is a Kichwa community that consists of 42 kind-hearted and hospitable members, 23 of which are talkative and playful children. Recently they have opened their land and their hearts to volunteers and tourism.
They have big dreams and concrete plans for how they want to move onward. Sachawasi is located in a quiet haven between two branches of the river Puyo. Volunteers work with the community to live sustainably and harmoniously with the Amazonian jungle.
You will be staying in a volunteer cabin, a single space with multiple beds and mosquito nets. The bathrooms are also shared. There is no electricity, but this is an even better way to get connected with nature with all distractions left in the city.
A Typical Day While Volunteering:
Currently the volunteer duties are focused on building projects (primarily a school on site) which involves creating a clearing, laying down foundation, designing and constructing the building, and weaving the rooftops, all using materials from the jungle and traditional style designs. Since the area is remote, there are also tasks involving creating walkways to various tourist points they would like to develop. The biggest focus is with the children, as Sacha Wasi is trying to build some infrastructure for the children’s education: play therapy, dance/music, learning languages.
Expected Tasks While Volunteering:
– Learn about medicinal plants and Amazon traditions
– Construction work on school and community centers
– Teaching kids in the community
– Creating and maintaining trails
Why This Volunteer Work Project is Important:
Sacha Wasi is a family community in the Amazon that is trying to lay the groundwork for future generations by opening up their community for ecotourism. By securing this alternative source of income they can prevent the possibility of being forced to rely on logging and the illegal commercial selling of jungle meat like Tapirs and Monkeys like other communities.
The Volunteer Perfect for this Program:
– Speaks at least an intermediate level of Spanish
– Able to be completely immersed in a vastly different culture with little contact to the outside world
– Eager to learn about Organic Farming and get their hands dirty
– Passionate and patient to teach and learn in the community
– Able to adapt to living the community lifestyle
Price per Person:
– $485 USD per month
– $435 USD three weeks
– $360 USD two weeks
– Airport pickup and first nights accommodation in Quito
– Transfer to orientation in Riobamba / home stay
– Training and Support
– Work Reference / Volunteer Certificate
– Accommodation at your volunteer placement
– A Work Recommendation Letter
– Contribution to the community
Price Does Not Include:
– Transportation Inside the Jungle from Puyo bus terminal by truck (10$)
– Meals (Food can be bought at the local market for cooking at the volunteer placement)
Minimum Time Spent Volunteering:
2 Weeks Minimum
(Maximum 6 Volunteers)
Volunteers will be volunteering between Monday to Friday with weekends free for leisure time or travel around Ecuador. You will have to take your own food to prepare meals in the kitchen facilities provided.
Check out other travellers volunteer reviews.
For more pictures, check our Facebook Galleries