Shiwiar Amazon Tribe
This very special volunteer work program is located on the territory of a Shiwiar Amazon Tribe in an extremely remote region of Ecuadors Amazon that is only accessible by small chartered flight.
Because of the regions remoteness it has not yet been exploited by the oil, wood, and mining companies that have devestated the rest of Ecuadors Amazon and the community wants to keep it that way by developing ecotourism in the area.
Expected Tasks While Volunteering:
– Translating for Foreign Guests
– Teaching English to Children
– Community Work
– Organic Farming
A Typical Day While Volunteering:
You will be welcomed into the Shiwiar Amazon Tribe and be expected to help out with every day tasks in the community that may include organic farming, construction, help in developing the ecotourism program and teaching English and maybe even hunting and gathering in the forest. This untouched area of the Amazon is still incredibly rich in biodiversity which is sustained because the Shiwiar Tribe lives in harmony with nature and leaves a very small footprint.
Why This Volunteer Work Project is Important:
This Shiwiar Amazon Tribe has rejected attempts by oil companies to destroy its land and instead wants to develop ecotourism there, and receive visitors in exchance for an alternative economic income.
The Volunteer Perfect for this Program:
– Speaks at least an intermediate level of Spanish
– Able to be completely immersed in a vastly different culture with little contact to the outside world
– Eager to learn about Organic Farming and get their hands dirty
– Passionate and patient to teach and learn in the community
– Able to adapt to living the community lifestyle
– $485 USD per month
– $435 USD three weeks
– $360 USD two weeks
*Minimum 2 weeks
*The small chartered flight fare is not included and costs approx. $35 USD
– Airport pickup and first nights accommodation in Quito
– Transfer to orientation in Riobamba / homestay
– Training and Support
– Work Reference / Volunteer Certificate
– Accommodation and Food at your volunteer placement
– A Work Recommendation Letter
– Contribution to the community
Price does not include:
Flight to the location, you do receive assistance on logistics and arrangements for flying in to the jungle village.
Minimum Time Spent Volunteering:
2 Weeks Minimum
(Maximum 3 Volunteers at a Time)
Check out other travelers volunteer reviews. For more pictures, check our Facebook Galleries