They have big dreams and concrete plans for how they want to move onward. They practice Shamanic Medicine if you want to experience the purifying and Aya Waska Ceremonies, it’s one of the best places in Ecuador to do it.
Sachawasi Amazon Community is located in a quiet haven between between two branches of the river Puyo. The water is clear, and warm on a sunny day. Swimming in the river is a great way to end your day after a hard day’s work. Or take a nap on the hammocks, and watch the beautiful night sky. You will be staying in a volunteer cabin, a single space with multiple beds and mosquito nets. The bathrooms are also shared. There is no electricity, but an even better way to get connected with your roots, all distractions left in the city.
Why This Volunteer Work Project is Important
Sacha Wasi is a family community in the Amazon that is trying to lay the groundwork for future generations by opening up their community for ecotourism. By securing this alternative source of income they can prevent the possibility of being forced to rely on logging and the illegal commercial selling of jungle meat like Tapirs and Monkeys like other communities.
The Volunteer Perfect for this Program
– Speaks intermediate Spanish
– Is able to be completely immersed in a vastly different culture with little contact to the outside world
– Is eager to get their hands dirty
– has good physical endurance
– Learn about medicinal plants and Amazon traditions
– Construction work and participating in community mingas
– Teaching kids in the community
– Creating and maintaining trails
-Volunteers will be volunteering between Monday to Friday with weekends free for leisure time or travel around Ecuador.
-Apt to simple living
-Able to be self sufficient
-Volunteers must bring their own food to the community. There will be a kitchen provided on site.
– $485 USD per month
– $435 USD three weeks
– $350 USD two weeks
– $285 USD one week
* Day 1: Airport pickup and first nights accommodation in Quito
* Day 2: Transfer to orientation in Riobamba / home stay
* Training and Support
* Work Reference / Volunteer Certificate
* Contribution to the community
* Volunteers also receive discounts on Mountain Climbing and Trekking Expeditions.
Minimum Time Spent Volunteering
– 2 week minimum
(Maximum 4 Volunteers at a Time)