Organic Farming Isla Isablela
Volunteers have the chance to get to know the Galapagos on a more intimate level and help provide local organic food to the inhabitants and restaurants on the island. Volunteers who also speak English have the opportunity to teach English to locals who work in the service industry.
Why This Volunteer Work Project is Important
Supporting organic farming helps set a good model for the community of Isabela, where local farming is not very common. Practicing organic farming on one of the worlds most protected islands also helps maintain the islands rich diversity. Ethical farming practices also help combat invasive plant species from taking over the native Galapagos plant diversity.
The Volunteer Perfect for this Program
– Speaks a basic or intermediate level of Spanish and wishes to rapidly improve.
– Is eager to learn or enhance organic farming techniques
– Is passionate about the environment and community relations.
– Has a positive and open mind
*Depending on the season*
– Prepare land for farming
– Farm maintenance
– Assist with taking care of farm animals
– Assist in preparations for market day
– Teach English to locals
-Volunteers will be volunteering between Monday to Friday with weekends free for leisure time or travel around Ecuador.
-Apt to simple living
-Able to be self sufficient
-Volunteers are responsible for cooking their own food to prepare meals in the kitchen facilities provided (farm food will be available)
$600 USD per month
$500 USD three weeks
$400 USD two weeks
$300 USD one week
* 24/7 emergency contact and support from EEV staff, administration costs, communication costs with volunteers and travel costs for program inspection;
* Day 1: Airport pickup and first nights accommodation in Quito
* Day 2: Transfer to orientation in Riobamba / home stay
* Pickup and transportation from Baltra Airport to volunteer site
* Food from the farm from Monday to Friday
* Training and Support
* Work Reference / Volunteer Certificate
* Contribution to the community
* Volunteers also receive discounts on Mountain Climbing and Trekking Expeditions.
Price Does Not Include:
– Galapagos Islands Park Entrance Fee
– Flight to Santa Cruz, Galapagos – Baltra Airport
– Ferry ride to Isla Isabela ($30)
– Meals, however a volunteers will have access to farm vegetables and can buy food at the local market (kitchen will be available for cooking)
Minimum Time Spent Volunteering
– 1 week minimum
(Maximum 4 Volunteers at a Time)
*Volunteers also receive discounts on Mountain Climbing and Trekking Expeditions with Ecuador Eco Adventures
Departure TimeSunday from Guayaquil or Quito airport / Arrive at Balta Airport in the Galapagos
Return TimeFriday afternoon
Dress CodeHat, sunglasses, long light pants, light clothing
Tour Review Scores And Score Breakdown